Online applications for BC Recovery Benefit open December 18, 2020.
The BC Recovery Benefit is a one-time, tax-free payment of up to $1,000 for eligible families and single parents and up to $500 for eligible individuals.
How the benefit works
The BC Recovery Benefit (the benefit) is a one-time direct deposit payment for eligible families, single parents or individuals. Benefit eligibility is based on net income from your 2019 tax return. You must apply to receive the benefit. Applications open December 18, 2020.
The amount you’re eligible for will be automatically calculated based on your income when you apply.
Families and single parents
- $1,000 for eligible families and single parents with a net income of up to $125,000
- Reduced benefit amount for eligible families and single parents with a net income of up to $175,000
The benefit defines a family as an individual and their spouse or common-law partner, unless they are separated. Both people must be residents of B.C.
The benefit defines a single parent as an individual who is the principal caregiver to at least one child.
- $500 for eligible individuals with a net income of up to $62,500
- Reduced benefit amount for eligible individuals with a net income of up to $87,500
Determine your eligibility
General eligibility criteria
Generally, the benefit is available to people:
- Residing in British Columbia on December 18, 2020
- Who are at least 19 years old on December 18, 2020, or meet specific eligibility criteria
- Who filed a 2019 Canadian personal income tax return, or meet specific eligibility criteria
- Who have a valid social insurance number, individual tax number or temporary tax number
If you receive a payment and we later determine that you’re not eligible for it, you will be required to repay it.
Note: If you’re applying for the family benefit, your spouse or common-law partner must also meet the general eligibility criteria.